Looking back at old photos, I know now why I was never satisfied with my haircuts. Not because I have a heart shaped face, but because back then I didn’t know how important it is to determine your face shape if you want to look your best.
Since I can’t advise my teenage self, I have decided to share with you what years of experimenting have taught me and show you how to pinpoint exactly what your face shape is. This will help you pick the right accessories, makeup and hairstyles, and feel confident at all times.
We all have different faces, however most of us fit into one of these facial categories: Heart, square, round, diamond, oblong or oval.
To figure out your facial shape, all you need is a tape measure, a pencil and a paper. Stand straight in front of a big mirror and start by measuring across the widest points of your forehead. Once you’re done, measure across the top of your cheekbones to find your cheek-to-cheek width then find the widest part of your jaw and measure your jaw line.
Finally measure the length of your face by using the cross shape method. Put the tape measure just under the eyes and measure from ear to ear, stopping at where the ear begins, then find the middle of your hairline and run the measuring tape down to the tip of your chin.
Did you write down the numbers? Now let’s do some math.
Your ratio will either be 1 (your width) to 1 ½ (your length), 1 to 1 or 1 to 2.
Use this ratio to fit your face into a face type:
- Heart face shape: you’re wider at the forehead and narrower at the chin. Long with bangs is a great hairstyle for you to show off your killer cheekbones.
- Square face shape: You have sharp angular features and the width of your forehead, cheekbones, and jaw are equal. Go for asymmetric hairstyles with layers and jewelry with curved edges, as they will soften your face.
- Round face shape: Similar to the square face shape, but with softer features and a rounded jawline as opposed to angular. A natural wavy look can look very flattering on you, and long and slimming jewelry can help elongate your face.
- Diamond face shape: You’re wider at the cheekbones which are slightly pointy, and narrower at the chin and the forehead. You would look gorgeous in a short pixie cut or a chin-length haircut.
- Oblong face shape: You have a long chin or forehead and the length of your face equals more than 1 ½ times the width. Bangs are made for you, but always avoid having super long hair as it can elongate your face.
- Oval face shape: The length of your face equals 1 ½ times the width of your face and this makes your face easier to style than other face shapes. With your balanced proportions, you can easily get away with a side-part bob or a pixie cut and you would look good in most necklines and jewelry styles.
Now that you know which shape your face resembles the most, you’ll know what pieces and hairstyles accentuate your best features, what suits you and what doesn’t. This will save you a lot of trouble and tears, I mean who hasn’t cried over a bad haircut? I know I have! So ladies, let’s make sure we know what we’re doing next time we go to the hair salon.
Don’t forget to contact me for more styling tricks that flatter your face shape.